Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Historical Reflection

I must object to the prospect of inviting a historical figure to attend college with me. For one, this person would obviously be many years older than I am, and so they would not be in the college in the first place. For two, if they were a professor, they would have countless other students to take care of and I could not form a meaningful relationship with them. For three, if I were to somehow pull this person from the timeline into present-day, not only would it mess up the timeline by keeping them from being in a place to do something important that they will inevitably end up doing, but it will also attract the media, and people will suddenly be swarming around me, asking me to revive all sorts of people. Death would become a slap on the wrist (until I died, that is) and I would be drowned by people who I don't know, not to mention that there would suddenly be over-population and the world's resources would be gone faster than we can use them.

If you hadn't gathered, I would not like to have a historical figure be in the same college that I will someday go to, unless said historical figure is alive today and I could meet him or her without the above listed reasons happening. There are no historical figures that present enough interest to me to actually want to bring them to college with me. I could say I'd bring the people in charge of planning the bombing of Dresden, and say that it's because I want to know why they did it, but not only would I be lying, I'd have no purpose for them once I had somehow managed to get the information out of them. I could also say that I wanted to bring some ex-president with me, but for one I don't know which one I'd bring, and for two, I don't have any reason to want to bring them.

My final reason for not wanting to bring someone from the past is because of just that- they're from the past. The things they did are in the past. The things they would talk about would be from the past. As much as it would be fun to have one as a history teacher, their knowledge would only extend up to the point in which they died, and... well, how can I put this without being rude? The past is in the past. Sure, we can look back on it to see where we made mistakes, but I'd rather not have whatever figure I had with me in college constantly talking about the successes he or she had while in some now-famous event. I'd like to just read or hear about a past event, and move on to the present and the future.

The past is in the past. Let's keep it that way so we don't have to repeat history.

No comments:

Post a Comment