Monday, November 9, 2009

Blog #21- In Which We Are Distant

Nick and Gatsby are both detached in the sense that they don't seem to enjoy getting in on the party action; they kind of just sit back and try to avoid the parties, and would much rather just sit and idly talk to one another if they didn't have other things to do. However, Nick's disease is much worse than Gatsby's. While Gatsby finds it hard to trust other people, and is (relatively) good at speaking to people, Nick just kind of says "I don't want to be involved in this, for I must maintain my neutrality despite this poise saying that I'm better than everyone and can judge them based on what's going on around me." And yet I don't think anyone else would make a good narrator, sadly, so we're stuck with the slightly egotistical guy who thinks he's the most honest person in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment