Thursday, April 22, 2010

Blog #15

Instead of picking something off of the provided list that Randy has given us, I decided to choose something that I was particularly interested in - that is, the combat strategies and what sort of information and misinformation was used to win the war.

During the war, both sides had many different battle strategies. Due to my nature as a writer, and my recent fascination with the kinds of tactics that are used in war-like battles, I wish to know all that I can about the combat tactics in the war and what kinds of things were done to give the other side misinformation. I recall reading somewhere that American and Brittish troops had spies working for them, sometimes even double-agents, who would talk about what the German forces were up to, and deliver information about squadrons that were nonexistent. I also recall reading that America and Brittan broadcasted radio messages that purposely spoke about plans, attacks and squadrons that did not exist to falsely prepare their enemies for an attack that was not coming and distract them from the real attack. I'd like to know a lot more about these strategies and these spies and the way that the battles were fought during the war; which I could probably do by researching accounts of soldiers on the battlefield or looking up battleplans. And, chances are, a lot of our combat strategies are the same as they were back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment